American Tarot Association Ethics
I abide by the ATA code of ethics.
The ATA has an established code of ethics for Tarot readers, designed to protect both consumers and readers. THE ATA CODE OF ETHICS.
- I will serve the best interests of my clients, conducting my professional activities without causing or intending to cause harm.
- I will treat all my clients with equal respect, regardless of their origin, race, religion, gender, age, or sexual preference.
- I will represent honestly my Tarot qualifications, including educational credentials, levels of certification and experience.
- I will keep confidential the names of clients and all information shared or discussed during readings, unless otherwise requested by the client or required by a court of law.
- I will recommend clients consult a licensed professional for advice of a legal, financial, medical, or psychological nature that I am not qualified to provide. If trained in one of these areas, I will clearly differentiate between the tarot reading and any professional advice additionally provided.
- I will discuss and agree upon all fees (if any) with my clients in advance. Should a client wish to proceed beyond the originally agreed arrangement, all additional fees (if any) will be discussed and agreed upon by both parties before proceeding.
- I will respect my clients’ right to refuse or terminate their reading at any time, regardless of prior consent.
I recognize that all ATA members have the same rights and obligations, and I will always respect and honor my co-members. Local governments can play a role in the empowerment of consumers to make the best possible choices. The American Tarot Association stands ready to collaborate with elected officials to create programs to help educate the public in what to watch for when seeking the services of ethical Tarot readers, working pro-actively through press releases as Tarot scams are identified. The ATA also calls for action by all ethical Tarot reading practitioners to be vigilant and protect their own profession by reporting the criminal activities of others to authorities immediately. We cannot allow the actions of a few criminals, through the use of a tool we love, to diminish us all and potentially provide the means for the ill-informed to close ethical, law-abiding Tarot reading businesses.